Introduction to Cancer
Ayurveda promotes health by enlivening the body’s inner intelligence to create harmony. Ayurveda is a branch of medical science, indeed a stream of both Sastra and Science. It has provided a lot to mankind. This article is about a very deadly disease- “CANCER”. As per Ayurveda as well as Modern science, cancer is a type of tissue growth that is uncontrollable and has its own vascular supply which is why it is difficult for our body and its immune system to fight against it.
Cancer is correlated with Arbuda in Ayurveda and is considered Asadhya Vyadhi/Incurable. In Modern science, its prognosis is decided on basis of a grading system and treated either by chemotherapy, radiotherapy, or surgery. Its treatment has some other side effects also like early aging, hair loss, and gastric complaints. Yet Ayurveda cannot be a mainstream treatment of line but can act as a support to reduce complications and improve life span.
Ayurveda Concept to treat Cancer
To treat any disease there are multiple principles available in Ayurveda but here we are taking a concept of Acharya Susruta provided in Susrutha Samhita – “Chuturvidha Hetav Nigraha” which means 4 major causative things to cure any disease by taking in consideration that is
- Sansodhana means Purification or Detoxification
- Sansamana means to subside or reduce
- Ahara means Diet
- Achara means Behavioral or moral changes in lifestyle
This post is to aim food items or dietary indication that comes under “Ahara Nigraha Hetav”
As per Ayurveda intake of a single Rasa(taste) is not healthy at all. Food that is a mixture of all Six Rasas is considered as healthy. Amount, duration, and frequency of food vary on factors like time of eating, job, digestive fire, sex, age, season, and health status. In Ayurveda literature, six major tastes are recommended in every diet – sweet, sour, salty, pungent, bitter, and astringent. Each of them possesses its own contribution to maintaining the health of individuals. tastes have specific health-giving effects. As per cancer food is medicine and cause, both for the disease. Lack of physical activity, diet, and obesity contribute to almost 30-35% of deaths due to cancer.
- The food we eat with less amount of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains which are highly processed are more risker than a diet with a larger amount of vegetables, pulses, fruits, grains, and herbs at a decreased risk of cancer of many organs.
- Sattvic foods are fresh, energizing foods such as fresh fruits and (leafy) vegetables, milk, cereals, pure fruit juices, butter and fresh cheese, fresh nuts, seeds, sprouts, honey, and herbal teas.
- Foods that help prevent and inhibit tumor growth are Raisins, soaked in water, Red beets detoxify the liver as beet juice and soup with herbs, raw beets, carrot juice has anti-carcinogen properties when used for 3 months.
- The consumption of cruciferous vegetables such as cabbage, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and cauliflower has been shown to have cancer-chemoprevention effects in humans and experimental animals.
- Many other commonly consumed edible mushrooms can also play a role in cancer prevention. Emblica Officinalis or Phyllanthus Emblica Linn, contain phytochemicals, such as gallic acid, ellagic acid, pyrogallolsome Nor sesquiterpenoids, corilagin, geraniin, Elaeocarpus in, and Pro delphinidins B1 and B2, also possess antineoplastic effects.
- Citrus fruits can act directly on cancerous cells as well as their potential for enhancing the anticancer effects of other phytochemical compounds present in the diet Grape seed polyphenols or procyanidins are shown to have anticarcinogenic or antitumor-promoting agents.
- The anticancer activity of many other fruits, such as black plum (Eugenia jambolana), jackfruit ( Artocarpus heterophyllus ), mango ( Mangifera indica L.), plum ( Prunus domestica ), pineapple ( Ananas comosus ), prickly custard apple ( Annona muricata ), papaya ( Carica papaya ), pomegranate ( Punica granatum ), strawberry, watermelon ( Citrullus lanatus T.), guava ( Psidium guajava L.), was also verified in vitro experimental studies.
- Many spices, like turmeric, red chili, coriander, cumin, ginger, and mint, have been shown to cure diseases ranging from the common cold and cough to cancerous tumors. Some spices are rich sources of flavonoids, which can block carcinogenesis.
In Ayurveda a famous Shloka is there
“ Pathye sati gadartasya kimausadhanisevanai.
Pathye, asati gadartasya kimausadhanisevanai”
(Vaidya Jeevana: 1/10)
This means if you take Pathya – a proper and healthy dietary intake then there will be no need to take medicine and if you do not take Pathya food then also there is no meaning to taking medicine. So a portion of good and healthy food is a blessing from God, accept it in the correct way to live longer and Healthier.
Maharishi Amrit Kalash is one such recommend product from Maharishi Ayurveda which can be very helpful to regain health. Click on the image to order