What is Arthritis?
Arthritis is inflammation just like other tissues but this inflammation is related to joints. It can be avoided as bone joints as a basic inclusive part of any movement of the body. It’s a big myth that arthritis is an age-related disorder rather than that it can happen in the middle age group of working individuals of any sex, as most individuals are unaware of their joint care or health.
Arthritis is not merely an inflammation of one or more joints but it also causes wear and tears to peripheral cartilage leading to joint swelling, tenderness, and restricted joint movement. Cartilage is mainly protective, shock absorber and function as a friction reducer for joints and enhance proper and smooth movements of joints. Damage to cartilage leads to the rubbing of bones together which brings inflammatory changes to joints and causes tenderness, swelling, and restricted joint movements.
In such conditions, you need to consult a doctor. Initially, you may get relief from anti-inflammatories, analgesics, and muscle relaxants. But in the latter condition, it may as worse as a requirement of joint replacement surgery in certain cases.
Causes of Arthritis ( Sandhi Gata Vata Nidana)
- Continues bearing of stress due to postural habits like occupational
- Hormonal imbalances such as in pregnancy
- Disease initiated like in Thyroid Typhoid or Dengue
- Bone fracture
- Twisting or jerking of joint
- Internal infection by bacteria or viruses
- Autoimmune disorders like RA
Sign and Symptoms
- Joint pain
- Stiffness or restricted joint movement
- Increased temperature in and around joint
- Crepitation (‘Click’ sound on the movement of joint)
- Gait Disturbance
As time passes, the injury heals level of inflammation is also gets reduced. Elimination of inflammation or causative factors moves toward healthy joint conditions and complaints disappear gradually. But this process usually takes somehow longer times if not treated properly. However, taking anti-inflammatory and analgesics may cause some other adverse effects also. So, in Ayurveda, there are some very effective, economical, and with very less or almost nil harmful effects. Below is the list of some of the available treatment modalities to treat Arthritis which in Ayurveda stands for Sandhi-Gata- Vata.
- Decoction (Kwatha) like Dashmoola Kwath, Rasnasaptak Kwath, Punaranakasthak Kwath, Erand Moola Kwath, etc.
- Guggulu like Vatahari Guggulu, Yogaraj Guggulu, Triyodasang Guggulu, Sinhanaad Guggulu etc.
- Herbal Single drugs like Ashwagandha, Guduchi, Asthishrinkhala, Ajmoda, etc.
- Herbo-mineral drugs like Vatavidhavanshak Rasa, Vatagajankush Rasa, Shanka Bhasma, etc.
- Oil (Taila) Like-Narayana Taila, Mahanarayana Taila, Dashoola Taila, Malakanagni Taila, Murivena oil etc.
- Eliminate causative factor
- Yoga and relevant exercise.
Apart from above mention medications and therapies, there are multiple options available to treat your joint pain or Arthritis, the whole of them are not listable. To get more effective treatment please consult your or nearby Ayurveda doctors. Avoid self-medication as it may show harmful or adverse effects.